English flagGerman flagFrench flagSpanish flag
Thursday June 1st 2023
For Advertising & Sponsorship opportunities gaelicsportscast @gmail.com


Vancouver hurling

The Green's John Casey (middle) on the attack.

In Vancouver hurling circles, the first game of the season got underway last weekend at Rupert Park with Team Green toppling Team White in the Irish Sporting and Social Club Vancouver (ISSC) Hurling Championship. Here is a report on the game.

ISSC Green Vs White May 8th @ Rupert Park
Written by: Anonymous 
Green – 4-12
White – 1-16

The first Hurling game of the year took place Saturday May 8th on a sunny evening in Rupert Park. With the grounds men having spent hours preparing the grounds and the new set of GAA sized goals erected by the experts the scene was set! Over looking the Northshore Mountains and with over 30 players in attendance the Vancouver faithful were rewarded with a thoroughly entertaining game of Hurling.
The teams: 13 men a-side in a 2-3-2-3-2 formation, as they will be for the NACB Championships, lined out as follows:

Green: Donal “ Birthday Boy” Twomey, Keith “KFC” Roche, Hugh “Stewy” Baker, Pat O’ Mahony, Sean Twomey, Mark “Strongarm” Armstrong, Tom Nolan, Paul “Corkbiie” Farmer, Eamonn “Blackeye” Bermingham, John Casey, Liam Mooney, John “Slasher” Molloy, Garreth Joyce

White: Jerry “JFC” MacCarthy, Peter “Ultimate Frisbie” Agnew, David “Daithi” Johnson, Rory “Blaah” Murphy, David “Foxy” Reynolds, Paddy Carty, Aidan O’ Mahony, Eoghan “Greyhound” Buckley, Stephen “Boardies” Young, William “Tracker” Donnellan, Andy Doohan, Billy “Sheepdog” Quinlan, Owen “Banner”  Wolfe.
Subs: Derek Reynolds, Chris Cody, Derek Jung, Tyson Van Beek, Eoin O’ Mahony.
With our established referee Paul “The Chief” Stack taking command the game began in Irish style – 15 minutes late, this did however give the crowds time to get settled!
The Green’s played with the wind in the first half and began in a strong fashion, points from Paul Farmer and John Casey was followed by a major from Slasher Molloy. However the White’s began to settle and some solid play in defense provided the White forwards with ball to attack with. After some narrow misses the White’s finally got on the board with nice scores from Tracker Donnellan. The Greens however upped the pace in the last 15 minutes and were rewarded with some good scores from a fluent forward line lead well by John Casey and Liam Mooney. With the supply of ball from the keeper, Birthday Boy Twomey and Tom Nolan coming thick and fast, Slasher Molloy pounced for another goal. This was followed by another from Molloy and with some good points from play from the Green team. With the half coming to an end the Greens loosened their grip on the game and the Whites tacked on a few nice points. A strong clearance from JFK to midfield led to a goal mouth scramble with BB Twomey beaten on the second attempt by Sheepdog Quinlan. This activity brought the half to a close with the Greens leading by 8 points.
After taking on some fluids at half time and not listening to a word the Manager had to say the second half resumed with a few changes, Derek Reynolds replaced Greyhound Buckley and Chris Cody remained on the field after coming on for Andy during the first half.
The first third of the second half saw both teams exchange some fine scores, strong work from the Green half backs Strongarm Armstrong and Pat ‘O Mahony, and good runs in midfield from Paul Farmer ensured that the Greens kept their distance ahead. With the game moving into the middle period of the second half the Whites began to find their form, Ultimate Frisbie Agnew and Blaah Murphy began to gain control in the defense whilst ably assisted by the Reynolds brothers. Tracker Donnellan with a good supply of ball began to dominate the half back line with help from Aidan O’ Mahony in midfield. Several more points from the Whites in a very dominant period saw them come within 3 points of the Greens with ten minutes left to play. An unfortunate injury to Tracker Donnellan, (when he ran into a hurl) and a resurgent Green team managed to halt the Whites in their stride with good play in defense by Pat O’ Mahony and up front by John Casey who made some lung bursting runs into the Whites defense. With the teams tiring scores were at a premium and with Greyhound Buckley back on up front, the Greens were under pressure for the final minutes. With the game drawing to a close some quick scores gave the Greens some breathing space and they finally ran out winners by 5 points.
The game was a good start to the season but still a lot of work to be done before Chicago in September, fitness, scoring and first touch needs to be improved but with team “bonding” going well, albeit in the pub it could be a successful year for the Harps yet!
A special mention must also be made to Derek Jung, Tyson Van Beek and Chris Cody on playing their first game of Hurling – Congrats lads! Also wish a speedy recovery to Daithi Johnson who broke his little finger in the first half but played through the pain! Thanks to all the supporters and of course the players and a special thanks to The Chief and his umpires Ciaran Collery and some kid behind the goals!
The evening wrapped up with some social beverages and game analysis in the Blarney Stone and continued Sunday in the Dowling residence where we congratulated the Guys and Girls on completing the Sun Run. Thanks Marie and Eoghan for the food and hospitality.